Monday, March 22, 2010

Potato Leek Pizza


This is yet another Pioneer Woman recipe (I just realized it is only in her cookbook, not her website so I can't link you to it, but I can link you to the recipe for the dough), so I may have a slight obsession, but everything she makes is just so good. Potato pizza is one of those trendy things (keep in mind I am basing this solely on extensive viewing of food network and foodgawker, I have no idea what the actual trends in the world may be, I pretty much only go to restaurants for happy hour because I heart half price appetizers and am poor) that probably wont pop up on any happy hour menus around here for awhile, so I had to take matters into my own hands. Boy was I glad I did, it is delicious. Of course the fact that it has 3 different kinds of cheese, bacon and leeks on it as well as the potatoes doesn't hurt. It is surprisingly filling, and the potatoes combined with the cheese give the pizza a sort of deconstructed creamy white sauce kind of effect, which is quite tasty.


Start with the bacon. I hate to fry bacon so I always bake it, just lay it on a cooling rack on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 until it reaches the desired crispiness (I like it really crispy).


Next start on the leeks, I am always a bit obsessive when I clean leeks but I feel it is justified because have you seen the crap that comes out of them?


Once the leeks have been completely cleaned, saute them in the bacon pan (since I didn't fry my bacon I just scooped some grease out from the cookie sheet and cooked them in that).


Now it's time to start the assembly process. I used PW's pizza dough recipe, but use whatever dough you like, I would have used Trader Joe's dough but I didn't want to drive all the way over there and we didn't have any at home.


First layer on the potatoes. I used my mandolin on the thinnest setting, if I didn't have that I have no idea what I would have done, as my knife skills are basically nonexistent. Also, PW calls for 5 potatoes, I only used one large one on this pizza, but as you can see it covered the whole thing.


Next put the fresh mozzarella. You must use fresh, it makes it so lovely and creamy. It doesn't look like much but it will ooze out and with everything else you put on this thing it is plenty.


Now top the cheese with the bacony leeks, they add such a nice mild oniony flavor.


Finish it off with the bacon crumbles, goat cheese and some parmesan.


Bake until the crust is golden and the cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment