Monday, March 8, 2010

Cauliflower Gratin

I have a friend who works at farmers markets. She ALWAYS has fresh fruits and veggies, and one day she had an unusual variety of cauliflower, and by unusual I mean practically neon green and spiky, basically like something Zenon would eat. She offered me some and I declined because, while I love Zenon, I don't like cauliflower, which she thought was crazy, but since then I have changed my mind. I won't be found snacking on a head of the stuff like some people but I will eat it. This dish had a lot to do with it, but add cream and cheese, or fry it and you increase my chances of liking something by about 75%. It is one of my goals in life to try fried pickles, and also fried coke, it seems so implausible. Back to cauliflower though. I am discovering it is more than broccoli's albino brother, it can actually be, dare I say it, good. Of course the cheese and cream don't hurt. This recipe is from the Food Network Magazine and can be found here.


Start with a head of cauliflower.


Mix a bit of dry mustard and salt in with the cream and pour it over the cauliflower.


Top with grated gruyere (swiss would work too, they are pretty similar, but that may just be me and my not super sensitive palate) and breadcrumbs.


Bake until golden and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. EmmaLou you really need to come see us in Winston Salem. We have fried pickles!
    I'm going to make this cauliflower as soon as I get some at the store. YUM!

    ReplyDelete