Saturday, March 27, 2010

Peach, Raspberry and Blackberry Pie

I am not a huge pie person. I pass on the pumpkin pie at during thanksgiving, and when we get a lemon meringue one for my grandmothers birthday I generally stick with the ice cream portion of the dessert. But sometimes you just really want a slice. In college when that happened, we would all pile into the car and head to Banning's, the 24 hour diner down the road. They had one of those revolving pie cases, and if you were lucky you could get someone to get the chocolate pie and you would get the peanut butter pie and share them both, making the pie version of a reese's cup. Now that Banning's is just under 3,000 miles away, I need a new way to get my pie fix, so I thought I would try my hand at baking one myself, plus I really wanted to make one of those snazzy lattice tops. I made this pie, it uses frozen fruit so you don't have to be constrained by silly things like seasons. I made the crust, but by all means use store bought if you want to, I probably will next time. Also, this is neither here nor there, but I just tried some Trader Joe's Goat Milk Brie and it was quite tasty, and very creamy straight out of the fridge, unlike the regular brie we get. I would recommend it. That is all.


Grab your frozen fruit, you want it to be thawed and as dry as you can get it otherwise your pie will get soggy.


Toss it all together with some sugar, flour, spices and lemon zest.


Then grab your pie crust and plop it in the pan.


Add the fruit, mine looked like it wouldn't all fit, but I piled it up and it worked just fine, although some juice bubbled out when I baked it. Next, you have to make a very difficult decision regarding what top you would like your pie to have. You could do the turtleneck of the pie world and have it completely covered, just make sure to cut vents in it. Or you could do the slightly more risque lattice top, which is actually quite easy to do, if you have ever taken an elementary school art class. Or you could cut out shapes and place them on top.


After you make that tricky decision, brush all exposed pie dough with an egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Place pie on a cookie sheet to catch any drips and bake.

No comments:

Post a Comment