Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Mozzarella and Red Pepper Bites


I tell people that I am unemployed, but really I am my parents live in chef. It is a good thing that I love to cook, my other defacto job as the live in dog sitter can be much less fun, especially when the yard is muddy. This week my mom has requested appetizers to bring to a wine tasting party. I am sending these bite size marinated mozzarella balls wrapped in roasted red pepper strips, they are super simple but still seem chic. Fresh mozzarella is pretty mild so marinating it before wrapping it adds some nice flavor. These can be made ahead of time, but just make sure your mozzarella doesn’t dry out.
Drizzle the olive oil over the drained mozzarella balls.

Add the basil, oregano, salt and pepper.

Now for the fiddly part, wrap each ball in a little strip of roasted red pepper and secure with a toothpick. Continue until you either run out of red peppers, toothpicks or mozzarella.

Mozzarella and Red Pepper Bites

8oz fresh mozzarella

Olive oil

Salt and pepper to taste

Basil

Oregano

Jar of roasted red peppers

Drain the mozzarella and drizzle with enough olive oil to coat all the balls. Add a good sprinkle of basil, a bit less of the oregano, a good sprinkle of salt and some fresh cracked pepper (or whatever spices you like). Toss it all together and put back in the fridge for at least an hour.

When the mozzarella is ready, drain the red peppers and slice into strips about as wide as the mozzarella balls. Wrap each ball in a strip of red pepper and secure with a toothpick.


No comments:

Post a Comment