Saturday, November 27, 2010

Tzatziki

I love Greek food, it is one of my dreams to go to Greece, and while I am sure I would be baffled much of the time (I feel like the expression "It's all Greek to me," and all that it connotes contains more than a grain of truth) the food might make up for it.  Anyways, there is a Greek Festival every June in Annapolis that my father and I LOVE.  Between the two of us, we manage to go at least once all three days it is open, and last year in a stroke of genius I got a gyro to go on Sunday and managed to prolong the yumminess for another day.  They really are the best gyros I have ever had, not that I actually know how to pronounce it when I order one.  Last year I noticed that there was a cookbook for sale, published by the Greek Orthodox Ladies Philoptochos Society (if you want your own write to the Agia Anna Philoptochos Society, Ss. Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Church, 2747 Riva Rd. Annapolis, MD 21401, or go to the Greek Festival, in case you were wondering).  Of course I snagged one, I love all cookbooks and this one happens to have an amazing tzatziki recipe.  I like to imagine it is the recipe a Greek grandmother would have passed down to me, if I had a Greek grandmother.

Start with some nice thick plain yogurt.

Then grab half a cucumber, split it down the middle and scoop out the seeds and chop finely. 

Add the cucumber to the yogurt and a teaspoon of white vinegar, a teaspoon of olive oil, a small clove of minced garlic ad 1/4 teaspoon salt.

Mix it all together and chill until you are ready to serve.

Tzatziki (from Odyssey of Greek Cooking)
1 cup yogurt, thick
1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeds scooped out and chopped fine
1 tsp. white vinegar
1 tsp. olive oil
1 small clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. salt

Mix all the ingredients together until thoroughly combined.

           

No comments:

Post a Comment