Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Aldi Challenge: Turkey Tenderloin Salad with Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing

Before I tell you about the salad I made with the leftover turkey, I have to share something I learned about Aldi last night that surprised me greatly.  Aldi is owned by the same people who own Trader Joe's.  Actually, it is a bit more complicated than that, as wikipedia told me, there were two brothers who owned Aldi in Germany and one had the north and one had the south and they split the international business, the brother who doesn't own all the Aldi's in America owns Trader Joe's.  Probably more information than you really wanted, but there it is, and in my Lifetime addled mind, it's all very dramatic with corporate espionage and affairs and sinister plots for world domination.  Anyways, back to the salad.  I was a bit nervous about it due to the fact that I didn't like the turkey and it is a key component to the salad.  BUT, when you combine it with homemade blue cheese dressing and tons of fresh veggies, it was so so much better, the strange flavor of the marinade and the dressing worked together somehow.  Also, the Aldi blue cheese crumbles are not very strongly flavored, just a heads up, they are a more mild blue cheese than I am used to.

Star by making your blue cheese dressing.  My dad made this and didn't measure anything, so the recipe is approximate, just taste as you go and adjust as needed.  Combine mayo, blue cheese crumbles, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper in varying proportions until it tastes good.  

As for the salad just chop up whatever veggies you have on hand, the more the better.  We had a mix of lettuces, peppers, and cucumbers, all from Aldi.  Since this was all we ate for dinner, we made the salad nice and big.



Top the salad with the leftover turkey that has been shredded, the blue cheese dressing and some blue cheese crumbles.  In my family we all dress our salads ourselves as some people claim that others are chronic overdressers, but you could dress it and toss it before serving if that floats your boat.  And if you forget that the dressing is mayo based, it feels like an incredibly healthy yet satisfying meal.

Turkey Tenderloin Salad with Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing
So I am not actually going to give you a recipe for this, make the salad with whatever veggies float your boat, top with the leftover turkey or any turkey or chicken you may have on hand.  Add your favorite blue cheese dressing, or make one, this, this or this are all good looking recipes.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment