Monday, April 19, 2010

Hot Cross Buns Redux: Bread Pudding

As delicious as my hot cross buns were, we couldn't finish them before they went stale. There was just too much competition from all the jelly beans, m&m's, bunny cake, robins eggs, cadbury eggs and whatnot. So I decided to give the hot cross buns a second chance at life and turned them into a bread pudding. We couldn't finish that either, we were recovering from all the sugar and the weather turned quite warm, not exactly 'curling up with a nice bowl of warm bread pudding' weather if you catch my drift. But that is beside the point. The point is this was my first attempt at bread pudding and I think it turned out quite nicely.

Start with some stale hot cross buns, I used about 4, and cube them.


Then take your eggs, I used 3.


Whisk them up with some milk, melted butter and spices. I used cinnamon and nutmeg because that is what was in the buns, you could use anything you want. Also, you could add some more dried fruit or nuts but I felt there was enough of that stuff in the bread.


Pour the egg mixture over the bread and sort of smush it all down together, which may or may not be unnecessary but it is fun. Sprinkle with muscovado sugar.


Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes and eat warm.

Hot Cross Pudding
about 4 stale hot cross buns (roughly 3 cups worth of bread cubes)
3 eggs
1 1/4 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon melted butter
2 tablespoons sugar
muscovado sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350.
Cube the bread and place in a greased loaf pan.
Mix the eggs, milk, spices, butter and sugar together. Pour over the bread and sprinkle with the muscovado sugar (I like the crunch of the muscovado sugar, but you could use regular sugar if you want).
Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes and serve warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment