Saturday, February 13, 2010

Hoisin and Orange Salmon

I wanted to make this salmon for quite some time, the orange, ginger and hoisin combo seemed quite tasty, and while packets of fish may not be things that normal people think about for days, well, I have never claimed to be normal... Anyways, when I finally got to make these, the fish did not disappoint, although I did discover that I don't really care for bok choy. I have since made these packets with tilapia instead of salmon and spinach instead of bok choy and that combo was good too, but the spinach does cook down to basically a single forkful despite the fact that I piled the spinach onto the tinfoil and made spinach mountain. There is something about the packets (I should probably look up the fancy french name so that it sounds more appealing and less like something you would get when you register for a conference or something) that I love, perhaps it has to do with the fact that I never really fully embraced sharing as a child combined with getting to unwrap it like a present.


Start by mixing up the sauce. The recipe was for 2 packets and I made 3, but I doubled the sauce instead of one and halving it, but I like things saucy.


Then take your baby bok choy (one for each packet) and cut into sixths.


Take a big square of tin foil for each packet and put one baby bok choy in the middle of each.


Put a piece of salmon on top of the bed of bok choy.


Pour a third of the sauce over each piece of fish, then sprinkle with coriander and salt.


Grab a bunch of cilantro. Have someone else wash and chop a bit more than a quarter of a cup (I hate prepping fresh herbs).


Split the cilantro between the packets.


Then seal them up so as to trap all the steam and the good flavors in.


Bake for about 15 minutes, then serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment